Discover Nagasaki (ALL)
This tour explores the countless charms and points of interest of the city of Nagasaki, visiting the park that commemorates the tragedy of the atomic bomb, ascending by cable car to admire sweeping views from Mount Inasa and strolling through Chinatown and a traditional wharf to discover the city’s historic roots.
Was wir ansehen
- Nagasaki Peace Park and Statue of Peace
- Cable car and observatory
- Chinatown and lunch
- Dejima wharf
Was wir erleben
- Our first destination is Nagasaki Peace Park, a tranquil landscape created in 1949 on the very site of the atomic explosion on 9 August 1945 as a monument against the proliferation of nuclear weapons.
- As we explore the park, we will stop to admire the 10-metre-high statue of peace. The right hand of the bronze statue points towards the sky in a symbolic gesture to ward against the threat of nuclear weapons, while the left hand is raised in a horizontal position to symbolise the desire for peace. The eyes of the statue are half-closed in an act of prayer for the victims of the atomic bomb.
- Our next destination is Mount Inasayama Observatory, a viewing platform located 333 metres above the city which offers a stunning 360 degree view of Nagasaki.
- We will travel by cable car to reach the scenic viewpoint on the summit of the mountain, admiring expansive views of the surrounding landscape as we ascend.
- We will return to the town to explore one of Nagasaki's cultural epicentres, Chinatown. The oldest Chinese quarter in Japan, Nagasaki’s Chinatown was founded in the seventeenth century as a direct result of the city’s centuries-long role as the sole point of communication between Japan and the rest of the world.
- We will walk through the crowded streets, perhaps taking the opportunity to sample some local delicacies: Nagasaki’s Chinatown is justifiably famous for its restaurants and traditional cuisine.
- Our tour concludes with a stroll along Dejima wharf, where the old dockside buildings have been recently transformed into a picturesque outdoor complex of lively restaurants, bars, shops and art galleries.
English & other European tour guides are subject to availability. ?