A PILGRIMAGE THROUGH THE SPIRITUAL HEART OF JAPAN
This tour takes us through the Kumano region, the birthplace of Shinto spiritualism, as we walk a section of the ancient paths trodden by generations of pilgrims as they undertake their journey towards purification. We will visit two splendid shrines and take in the enthralling spectacle of cascading water at Japan's highest waterfall.
Was wir ansehen
- Kumano region
- Walk along the Daimon-zaka pilgrimage trail
- Kumano Nachi Taisha shrine
- Nachi no Taki waterfall
- Souvenir shopping
- Kumano Hayatama Taisha shrine
Was wir erleben
- Leaving the port behind, we will delve into the ancient Kumano region, the beating heart of Japanese spirituality. The region is characterised by lush, wild forests and the ancient roads of the Kumano Kodo, a network of “ancient ways” travelled by pilgrims for centuries and now recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.Stopping at the base of Daimon-zaka, a perfectly maintained shingle path that ascends to one of the region's most venerated shrines, we will continue our journey along the sacred path on foot*, ascending part of the ancient Kumano Kodo immersed in the enchanting natural environment of dense trees.
- Our efforts will be rewarded as we arrive at Kumano Nachi Taisha, a Shinto shrine distinguished by the unique fusion of Shinto and Buddhist elements so characteristic of the area. We will take the opportunity to admire the shrine's various buildings, captivated by their vibrant tones of vermilion.
- Behind the temple, our senses will be enthralled by the majestic spectacle of the Nachi no Taki waterfall which plummets some 133 metres from an overhanging rocky precipice. Long venerated by the local people, the white veil of crashing waters contrasts against the greens of the surrounding mountains and it is no surprise that the nearby shrine was inspired by the powerful spirituality of this natural spectacle.
- After visiting the waterfall, we will take the opportunity to browse a nearby gift shop.
- After buying a souvenir or gift to commemorate this unique experience, we will begin our journey back to Shingu to visit Kumano Hayatama Taisha, a shrine dedicated to the Shinto god of energy and life. The temple contains numerous votive offerings and is considering the birthplace of the Shinto religion.
English & other European tour guides are subject to availability. ?