THE SHINTO SHRINES OF KUMANO
An exciting and spiritual voyage of discovery, exploring Kumano’s spiritual and mythical heritage and the stunning natural landscape of the Dorokyo Gorge from the unique and exciting perspective of a jetboat.
Was wir ansehen
- Kumano region
- Kumano Hayatama Taisha shrine
- Kumano Hongu Taisha shrine
- Dorokyo Gorge
- Gorge boat trip
Was wir erleben
- Leaving the city behind us, we will embark on an enthralling journey of discovery through the ancient region of Kumano, exploring the lush, wild forests and ancient roads which over the centuries have been trodden by pilgrims travelling between sacred shrines.
- Our first stop is the enchanting Kumano Hayatama Taisha Grand Shrine which, characterised by the vibrant vermilion tones of its architecture, is one of the most important shrines in Kumano and has occupied its current position on the banks of the River Kumano since at least the the twelfth century.
- We will visit the evocative temple dedicated to the Shinto god of energy, admiring the many votive offerings contained within and immersing ourselves in the spirituality of what many consider to be the birthplace of Shintoism.
- Our journey into Japanese spirituality continues with a visit to another sacred site, Kumano Hongu Taisha, the largest and most venerated of the three important shrines in Kumano, nestled in a dense forest that invites visitors and pilgrims alike to immerse themselves in tranquillity.
- To reach the temple, we will ascend an enthralling stone staircase, admiring the splendid wooden constructions that blend harmoniously with the surrounding landscape. Although many of the building have been rebuilt numerous times due to fires, the style of the ancient architecture is at least a thousand years old.
- Our next stop is the Dorokyo Gorge, famous for the impossibly steep cliffs and intriguing rock formations that rise above its emerald green waters.
- Here we will step aboard a jetboat and embark on an exhilarating boat trip through the gorge, experiencing a unique and exciting perspective of the vertical walls and taking in the vibrant colours of the surrounding forests, whose striking colours perfectly reflect the changing seasons.
- At the end of the tour we will even have time to browse a souvenir shop alongside the jetty.
English & other European tour guides are subject to availability. ?